Marcella Hazan always knows what we need, and these cold days it’s bean and barley soup! When we flipped through this recipe in “Marcella Cucina,” there was no doubt that it’s exactly what frigid winter calls for.
Here’s Bean & Barley Soup (adapted from Marcella Hazan)!
TIME: 1 hour, plus soaking time
- Swiss chard, 1 pound
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/4 cup
- Onion, 1 cup, finely chopped
- Celery stalks, 2. chopped
- Carrots, 3, chopped
- 100% Italian Tomatoes, 1 can (400 grams / 14.1 oz)
- Pearled Barley (Orzo Perlato), 1/2 cup
- Beans, 3/4 cup, dried
- Sea salt, t0 taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Vacche Rosse, freshly grated for the table
1. Soak dried beans overnight
2. Soak the chard in cold water for about 10 minutes, then rinse well. Cut the stalks and leaves into short thin strips
3. Prepare a soffritto in a soup pot by heating the olive oil and onion over medium heat, stirring until onion turns light gold
4. Add the carrot and celery. After 6 or 7 minutes, add the tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon
5. After about 10 minutes, add the chard and some salt. Mix the contents well, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, add the beans, the barley and 4 cups of hot water until beans are cooked (about 20-30 mins). If you would like a thicker consistency, simmer for longer.
6. Add salt and a some pepper and stir
7. Serve with grated Parmigiano and a swirl of olive oil