Marcella Hazan always knows what we need. When we flipped through this recipe in “Marcella Cucina,” there was no doubt that it’s exactly what frigid winter 2015 calls for.
Here Bean & Barley Soup (adapted from Marcella Hazan)!
Serves 4-6 people
1 pound Swiss chard
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 celery stalks
1 400gr tin of 100% Italian Tomatoes
1/2 cup Pearled Barley (Orzo Perlato)
3/4 cup dried Beans
Black pepper ground fresh
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
cheese for the table
1. Soak dried beans overnight
2. Soak the chard in cold water for about 10 minutes, then rinse well. Cut the stalks and leaves into short thin strips
3. Prepare a soffritto in a soup pot by heating the olive oil and onion on medium heat, stirring until onion turns light gold
4. Add the carrot and celery. After 6 or 7 minutes, add the tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon
5. After about 10 minutes, add the chard and some salt. Mix the contents well, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, add the beans, the barley and 4 cups of hot water until beans are cooked (about 20-30 mins). If you would like a thicker consistency, simmer for longer.
6. Add salt and a some pepper and stir
7. Serve with grated Parmigiano and a swirl of olive oil