This recipe comes from Beatrice’s niece, Maria, who was born, raised, and currently lives in Siena. “If she can make an excellent crostata, I can do it too,” Beatrice says about her niece, who can’t boil an egg.
We actually love crostata for exactly that reason, because it is easy and it only takes a few good ingredients to make; and, of course, it is an Italian breakfast essential.
Recipe: Caffe’ Sicilia Trio Crostata
Makes a crostata roughly 10 inches in diameter.
1. Pre-heat the oven for 340 °F
2. Combine all ingredients
3. Mix until the dough is uniform
4. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin (saving a small portion for the top of the crostata)
5. Fit dough in a shallow pie dish
6. Add jam and/or marmalade as desired
7. Decorate the top of the crostata with strips of dough as desired
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes
9. Bake for 5 additional minutes in the broiler if the top is not thoroughly cooked.