Who said that fish and cheese don’t go together in the Italian kitchen? We joined forces with our friend Chef Silvia of La Rina to prove this prejudice about Italian food traditions totally wrong. The umami bombs Anchovy Colatura and Vacche Rosse Cheese are a match made in heaven. Add Yellow Tomatoes from Cilento and you have a pasta sauce that subverts all cliches! In Gragnano, Sergio Faella makes a version of this dish as well. The only real difference is he uses spaghettini instead!
SERVES: 5-6 people
TIME: 20 minutes
- Spaghetti, 1 bag (500g / 1.1 lbs)
- Garlic, 1 clove, whole and lightly crushed
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 5 Tbsp
- Colatura, 5 Tbsp
- Chili peppers in EVOO, 1 tsp, plus more to taste
- Yellow Tomatoes, 1 jar (680g / 23.9 oz)
- Vacche Rosse Cheese, 3/4 cup, finely grated, plus more to serve
- Fresh basil or parsley, optional
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add just a little bit of sea salt.
- In a pan, add EVOO and garlic, and turn on the heat.
- When the EVOO starts sizzling, discard the garlic and add the chili peppers.
- Add half the Yellow Tomato juice (only the juice!) and let it reduce for 5 minutes. Then, turn off the heat.
- Cook the Spaghetti and drain when they are almost done, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Finish cooking the Spaghetti in the pan for 3/4 minutes with the heat off, adding the rest of the Yellow Tomatoes, Colatura, and pasta water as needed.
- Off the heat, sprinkle in the Vacche Rosse Cheese and herbs (if using). Mix very well.
- Serve immediately with additional cheese and chili peppers to taste.