Pastificio Faella is located in Gragnano, the town of dried pasta. The tomato lab of Sabatino Abagnale is located in Sant’Antonio Abate. These two heavens of the good food of Campania are less than 4 miles apart. Four miles! Of course, their friendship is built on the most delightful common ground: pasta al pomodoro.
We’ve been lucky enough to be in the kitchen with them more than once. We convinced Sabatino to share his recipe for his favorite way to enjoy his incredible tomatoes: the simplest, quickest, most flavorful tomato sauce. If you are wondering if you should grate some cheese for finishing, well, honestly you won’t need it!
SERVES: 4-5 people
TIME: 20 minutes
- Sedani, 1 bag, 500 gr – 1.1 lbs
- Miracolo di San Gennaro tomatoes, 1 jar, (530 gr/19 oz)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 3 tablespoons
- Garlic, 3 cloves, crushed
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Fresh basil, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a pan, heat the EVOO over medium heat and add the garlic. Cook until golden (about 4 minutes).
- Remove garlic from the pan, add tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Cook Sedani al dente (about 7 minutes), drain, then pour the pasta into the sauce.
- Sautee over high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with some torn basil to taste.