Danielle is not only learning about the difference between REAL and FAKE Italian food products. She is getting angry and angrier. This is what she says about San Marzano tomatoes.
“5 Facts You Should Know About San Marzano Tomatoes– Recapping the Tomato Scandal”
1. Who is the King of the Tomatoes? A true DOP San Marzano tomato comes from the geographic area known as Agro Sarnese-Nocerino, about half-way between Naples and Salerno, in the Italian region of Campania. The DOP San Marzano tomato is grown on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius and has a specific DNA (which traces to the combination of the Fiascona, Fiaschella, and King Umberto tomato varieties). A true San Marzano tomato has a long shape and a texture that allows it to be peeled and canned whole without loosing its integrity. This tomato is so flavorful and delicious that in 1957 the Neapolitan author Domenico Reo crowned the San Marzano tomato “The King of Tomatoes.”
2. Edoardo Ruggiero. He is the DOP San Marzano tomato’s fiercest protector and is the President of the Consorzio DOP San Marzano. He is also the president of the Danicoop, producer of real DOP San Marzano tomatoes.
3. Counterfeit imported tomatoes. On a regular basis, canned tomatos from all over the world are imported to the USA without labels. Once in the USA they are labeled as DOP San Marzano. This is done to avoid the jurisdiction of Italian DOP law and EU law.
4. Counterfeit American tomatoes. Tomatoes that are grown within the USA are also sometimes labeled and sold as San Marzano.
5. Buy from someone you trust. When buying in the USA there is no 100% fool-proof way to identify a real DOP San Marzano can of tomatoes by simply reading the labeling. The only way you can be sure of your tomato is to buy from an importer that has a relationship with their tomato producer. For us that producer is Danicoop and if you have any questions about Danicoop DOP San Marzano tomatoes, just let us know! We would be happy to pass along any questions to Edoardo and his son Paolo.”
Grazie Danielle, we’ll keep talking about real San Marzano Tomatoes, in particular to defend the rights of the San Marzano farmers. Let’s hope tomato lovers listen. Thank you very much!
DANICOOP……THE VERY SAN MARZANO TOMATOE!!!!
Comments are closed.