We make cacio e pepe in the most simple and traditional way possible. Read: we do not put egg or cream in our cacio e pepe. We make a point to avoid the shortcuts that are commonly used to accommodate less than stellar ingredients. Just 3 ingredients are enough when they’re top quality! Start with pasta Martelli’s maccheroni di Toscana and you’ll be on the right track!
TIME: 30 minutes
- Maccheroni Martelli, 1 package (500g / 1.1 lbs)
- Pecorino Romano, 250g / 8.8 oz, finely grated
- Good black pepper, freshly ground
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Boil the maccheroni in well salted water.
- In a mixing bowl, dilute the grated pecorino with water from the pasta pot until it melts and makes a cream. It should not be too liquidy, add more cheese if needed.
- Strain the pasta, saving some of the water.
- In the mixing bowl, combine the cheese and the hot pasta.
- Add some of the cooking pasta water, a spoonful at a time. Start mixing vigorously to create the creamy sauce.
- Add a nice handful of pepper and keep mixing (about 5 minutes).