We make this dish in the most simple and traditional way possible. Read: we are not putting egg or cream in our cacio e pepe. We make a point to avoid the shortcuts that are commonly used to accommodate less than stellar ingredients. Just 3 ingredients are enough, when they’re the best ingredients!
100 grams of Maccheroni Martelli per person
50 grams of grated Pecorino Romano per person
Good ground black pepper
1. Boil maccheroni in well salted water.
2. In a mixing bowl, dilute the grated pecorino with water from the pasta pot until it melts and makes a cream. It should not be too liquidy, add more cheese if needed.
3. Strain the pasta, saving some of the water.
4. In the mixing bowl, combine the cheese and the hot pasta.
5. Add some of the cooking pasta water, a spoonful at a time. Start mixing vigorously to create the creamy sauce.
6. Add a nice handful of pepper and keep mixing (about 5 minutes).