Fried caper leaves are perfect to serve for a special aperitivo, on their own, or as part of a larger spread. Crunchy, umami, comforting. This only takes 15 minutes, but it’s one of those treats universally loved.
SERVES: 4-6 people
TIME: 15 minutes
- Caper leaves, 100gr/3.5oz
- Egg yolk, 1
- Maiorca flour, 3 tablespoons
- Sparkling water, 3 tablespoons
- Extra virgin olive oil, 240 ml / 1 cup
- Salt flower, to taste
- Blot the caper leaves with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Create the batter by blending the egg yolk, flour, and sparkling water in a medium bowl.
- Heat the EVOO in a heavy, deep-sided pan. Test a drop of batter in the oil, it should sizzle and immediately begin to brown. Dip each leaf into the batter so that it’s completely coated and lower into the hot oil. Cook until one side is browned, approximately one minute, then flip and continue to brown on the other side.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle some sea salt and serve immediately.