We don’t recall how or when we came to know this uncomplicated yet astonishing recipe. Over time, it has simply become part of the Gusti summer repertoire. When yellow peaches are in season, we love cooking them with Eucalyptus honey and fresh basil leaves. Then, to unlock all the flavors of these syrupy, aromatic peaches, we sprinkle some Fior di Sale. Straightforward, but incredibly elegant and satisfying!
SERVES: 5 people
TIME: 20 minutes
- Cut the peaches along their seams, all the way around, and twist their halves off their pits.
- Dissolve the honey in half a cup of warm water.
- In a pan, place the halved peaches cut side down. Pour the honey and water mixture and add about ten basil leaves.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Keep covered for about 10 minutes.
- Once the peaches are soft but still with a bite and their skin wrinkles, remove them from the pan and place on a serving plate.
- Discard the basil leaves, then increase the heat to high and reduce the liquid until it reaches a thick, syrupy consistency (about 2-3 minutes). In the meantime, peel the peaches.
- Pour the syrup on the peaches, tear the basil leaves into small pieces and finish by sprinkling some crunchy Fior di Sale.
- Serve warm and enjoy alone or with gelato.